Our History

PenTex Energy is a member-owned, non-profit electric cooperative that provides its members with proven reliable electric service at the lowest price possible. Originating on June 7, 1938, with 98 members, PenTex Energy now serves over 10,000 members in Cooke, Montague, Grayson, Wise and Denton counties.

PenTex Energy maintains overhead and underground distribution lines. Power is purchased from Brazos Electric Power Cooperative, a generation and transmission supplier organized in 1941 to provide electric distribution cooperatives, like PenTex Energy, with dependable electric power at the lowest possible cost.

The principles on which PenTex Energy was founded—keeping electric rates competitive, our service reliable, and dedication to the members we serve—are just as strong today as the day we opened our doors in 1938. Our employees are dedicated and ready to serve our members and maintain reliable service, while pioneering innovative approaches to business and technology.